Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pause or Stop

When training for a triathlon, it's hard to manage your training time, especially if you have a full time job, a family, social life, and other interests and events. I try to dedicate three mornings a week to am swimming, then three evenings to bike rides and three evenings to running. In addition to that, I try to lift weights lunchtime 2-3 days a week, even if it's for 20-30 minutes & two days a week I do hot yoga. During my triathlon training three months ago, I had just bought some new shoes and I was in my breaking them in stage, since it was a really hot day, I decided to bike indoors at the gym. Well many stationary bikes can not be perfectly adjusted to your body. Having that said, I bike for about 12 miles before I started to feel some sharp pain in my left knee that shooting down. Anyway I pushed through it- First bad step- I biked about 8 more miles and then I was smart enough to hop on the treadmill to see if my knee feel better running. That's mistake number two. After a couple of miles, my shooting pains got worse and I finally stopped. That was the beginning of a very long painful IT Band Injury (Iliotibial band syndrome) that has lasted over four months now. The lesson here, is if it hurts STOP because long term it is NOT worth it. I'm paying the price of pushing it. I have taken a complete brake from running and biking and all I have been able to do in the past 4 months is swim. Unfortunately 4 weeks ago, I fell at work and broke my tailbone. I just hope this is the end of my injuries and the beginning of a healthy strong recovery to my next triathlon.