I must start by saying I had no idea of how much more of a challenge trail running is than road running. I mean really what was I expecting? A paved path around mountainous park city with no elevation or incline? I don’t know why I didn’t think about it! Sometimes it’s better just not to know what you are getting into. A friend of mine convinced me to do a trail run in Park City, so why not. I did it. I did finish but learnt a bit in the process.
Great no biggie, I’m always up for a challenge, right? Well next time I might want to be a bit more prepared. I really had no idea where to turn and how to go about training so I just trained for a road race & hit the trail.
I will start by saying there is a reason for Trails shoes! Trail shoes have better foot & ankle support, better for the terrain you are running on and will help you avoid slipping and rocks, plus they are water proof, for when you step in puddles of water & mud.
In my run, I realized I was so focused on the path that I forgot to fuel. I hardly drank & didn’t fuel.
A few points I learned with the trail run:
Use proper gear – Trail shoes for a start.
- Keep your eyes on the road.
- Be aware of your surrounds, rocks puddles, mud, branches animals and others.
- Make sure you know where you are going. One wrong turn & you can be out in the mountains all alone.
- Don’t forget to fuel! Like I did.
- But most importantly get out try it & have fun while running!